Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2019

All Hallow’s Eve Checklist

I had a rough start this Hallowe'en - just a lousy morning. Derek Newman-Stille inspired me with his tweet:
"Remember that today is also Samhain, a holiday dedicated to the blessed dead and the memory of those who have gone on from this life. Remember those who you have loved and who have died and set aside a place for them in your thoughts."

And I made this All Hallow's Eve Checklist to try and turn my day around.

·         Read issue of The Samdman Universe Presents: Hellblazer (by Simon Spurrier). Came out Oct. 30. Those clever monkeys at DC Comics know the way to my heart, dammit. Consider why all the rogue comic-book protagonists that I follow tend to suffer.
·         Begin prep of mummy meatloaf.
·         Look at many decorations (in-door and out).
·         Carve second jack-o’-lantern.
·         Listen to Mike Oldfield, starting with Tubular Bells (then Hergest Ridge, OmnadawnReturn to Omnadawn).
·         Be ready to welcome the lost ones. Remember them.
·         Start with Hugh DeCourcy. He introduced me to Oldfield tunes, Roger Zelazny’s A Night in the Lonesome October and H.P. Lovecraft. Hugh believed in my writing and my book Town & Train when it was a mere 100 pages, typewritten, foolscap and dot Smith-Corona-printed pages and all.
·         Let them know they are missed. Perhaps they already know. Iet Dolman (also believed in me, my writing).
·         Meditate on this as I finish the long journey of rewriting my second novel, Monstrous. Cry when needed. Alternatively, rage and curse. Be friends with the book; it’s tell you what it wants to be. Let it.
·         Remember them - Robert Delorme, Ian Dennison, Keith Morgan, Guy Tremblay, Phil Robertson, Paul Robineau, J.P. Craig, Lori Jean Hodge, Helen Mullen, Anis Dahbar, Angus Archer, Leah Weber (sibling of best friend of my youth),. All departed too soon (an opinion that is a luxury for the living only).
·         Light jack-o’-lanterns to guide them.
·         Be there for my son and my loved ones here now.
·         Greet disguised spirits of a younger and different variety.
·         Keep your heart open and your mind receptive
·         Have fun; these spirits want acknowledgement, but they also want to party.















No comments:

Post a Comment