Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Mabon Poetry Notes

Happy Mabon and Fall Equinox, all, "a celebration and also a time of rest after the labour of harvest."

Against my better judgement, perhaps, I feel I myself turning to poetry again. Writing it, that is. It's been an on-off love affair this past decade for poetry and myself, but I have published some things in my day, in online and hard-copy publications. As Leonard Cohen said, "poetry is a verdict".

My work last appeared regularly in Bywords, curated by bi visual poet Amanda Earl. I am listed there as a contributor-poet. I was once even shortlisted for The John Newlove Award for Poetry for my whimsical poem about a closeted film icon (and personal favourite), "Danny Kaye Winks at the Viewer Through Time".

My rule for poetry, years ago, became simple. I would only write about things dear and important to me. No bloodless prose poetry or snake-oil-esque word trickery and play (that should be built in anyway). Only truths dear to my heart. And only pieces that are ready, edited and rewritten and excavated over time until  they reveal their true form to me, much like my speculative fiction. Sometimes, the work has to tell you what it wants to be, and that takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment