Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Story in Fear Itself collection dedicated to mentor

The big wheel turns this past weekend. September third marks the anniversary of the passing of Hugh DeCourcy, my beloved friend, mentor and kindred spirit back in '96.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, restless and growing up in a small city, you can meet someone who changes the course of your life and leaves a mark on you in a positive way. Hugh was that someone for me. He introduced me to the works of H.P. Lovecraft and showed me that I could pursue my passion no matter what anyone else thought. Hugh taught me that you can be a hobby guitarist, a keen chess player, an amateur painter, a cross-country runner, a close observer, and a writer of infinite passion and curiosity. God damn, but he was great.

I have mentioned him previously around this time of year. This September, though, I can proudly say how I have done right by him as a he features as a character in my short-story collection Fear Itself in the story “A Canadian Ghost In London” on page 169. The story concerns Sara Jasmine, a Canadian ex-pat spending evenings at the Astoria Nightclub in London, England in 1998, who becomes convinced that the ghost of her friend Hugh is pursuing her. The piece is rich with British references and reminiscences and moments, these flies in amber. I hope readers enjoy it. 

I know Hugh would be happy with it. This one's for you, Hugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment