Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Return to the Tree Reading Series, as Audience Member

Thanks to literary event organizer Pearl Pirie, here's a pic of me reading at last night's Feb.27 Tree Reading Series at Black Squirrel Books & Espresso Bar. My voice was rough, and I have been having some rough times, having lost a friend recently. Still, l wanted to attend a series I once ran from 2000 to 2005 - but this time as an audience member. 

On that note, MC Chris Johnson did an admirable and affable job hosting. Jennifer LoveGrove, whose novel Watch How We Walk (ECW Press) I admittedly champion, delivered moving poems from Beautiful Children With Pet Foxes (BookThug, now Book*Hug) about supporting someone close to you who has mental illness. Nigerian poet and performer Segun Akinlolu involved the good-sized audience in his charming, folksy and roots musicality. 

I was heartened to see familiar writerly faces, including Grant Wilkins, Sandra Ridley, Michelle Desbarats, and Brian Pirie. And, of course, I got to meet Jennifer LoveGrove for the first time (and shamelessly comp her my book Town & Train after I bought another copy of Watch How We Walk for her to sign).

No comments:

Post a Comment