Pages

Friday, September 18, 2020

Bam! Revising breakthrough

And then, while riding the ghost train in my imagination, boom!, there I saw yet another solution. As I rewrite Monstrous, I see that a scene shouldn't be occurring in a store just down the road from a retrofitted inn. I guess I wanted to work in some ginchy, scary bits like in the film Splinter, where the characters are trapped in a convenience store. Only, in my work-in-progress, I wrote the nearby store as, alternately, a park store and a convenience-store-type setting. Thing is, neither choice makes sense, because a park store would be closed for the camping season by mid-October (when the book is set), a convenience store wouldn't be zoned commercially and allowed to be built near either a campground or retrofitted inn.

So, my settling doesn't makes sense, legally or simply, realistically. So I mulled this over, talked with my fellow writer partner about it, and they asked why must the setting be a store? What do the characters need there? And, in answering her, it dawned on me that they need a particular item in the store in order to fight seemingly supernatural entities. So she suggested that I simple move or change the setting to a tool shed or equipment shed.

Armed with that solid idea, I revised part of the scene in the store (still in-progress, in fact) and I realize the characters must enter a different setting and meet the same character, but all that can be done in a toolshed. A ranger or groundskeeper could, theoretically, be there doing maintenance and they could seek out his help. And he is so much fun, this salty, should-be-retired park ranger. He is in utter disbelief and outraged to be placed in a weird and horrifying situation. 

In fact, the whole scene could have a whiff of 1950's horror, with younger characters trying to convince an older character that something terrible is happening.

So, bam!, indeed. This scene does play out quite differently. Oh, and a hint about what my characters are up against. I've got a werewolf, a ghost-fighter and a warlock. What are they looking for? Salt, of course. For the badness that is about to descend on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment